The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, striving towards global excellence and stature. With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and multiple partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice.
The University of Johannesburg invites suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position of Senior Researcher within the South African Research Chair in Industrial Development, at a market-related remuneration package. This is a full-time research position for 2 years, with a possibility of renewal depending on performance and on whether additional project funding is awarded.
This position is directly linked to the recently awarded Community of Practice on ‘Innovation for Inclusive Industrialisation’ which will be coordinated by the SARChI Chair in Industrial Development. The Community of Practice is a prestigious applied research programme funded by the National Research Foundation (NRF) for a period of two years (2018-2019). It aims to explore South Africa’s aspiration to advance towards a knowledge economy in such a way that guides concrete policy decisions, especially in the ambit of innovation and industrial policy. The Community or Practice has a research component as well as a policy engagement component, both interrelated. Specifically, it aims to strengthen the capacity of national authorities to analyse and understand innovation-led inclusive industrialisation.
The Senior Researcher will join the research team at the South African Research Chair in Industrial Development, and work together with the team, coordinating research projects, conducting fieldwork, managing research assistants and generally contributing to the research process of preparing studies on various issues related to innovation and inclusive industrialisation. S/he will also participate in the facilitation of policy engagement activities, and may present study reports in relevant national, regional and international events.
The Incumbent will be expected to:
- Undertake research and project management on a full-time basis (no lecturing responsibilities).
- Lead the scoping of research projects in innovation and inclusive industrialisation.
- Manage research projects teams, coordinate research process and engage with fieldwork activities.
- Help develop relationships with public sector organisations, and facilitate policy engagement activities.
- Produce academic publications as well as policy-oriented reports.
- Create insightful, compelling, actionable research outputs to an excellent written standard for a range of audiences.
- A Doctoral qualification, preferably in Economics (cognate fields will also be considered); with specialisation related to innovation management, technology management, innovation policy, industrial development, or a related field.
- Some relevant academic publications.
- Demonstrable qualitative and quantitative research skills.
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to work in a team and coordinate research projects.
- Ability to communicate with a range of stakeholders.
- Ability to deliver high-quality written outputs.
Experience of research leadership or project management in a multi-disciplinary academic environment.
Please note the following contact details are for enquiries about JOB CONTENT ONLY and NOT for application purposes.
Prof. Erika Kraemer-Mbula
Tel: (011) 559 7447